4AGTE questions

For all your general chat needs...

Re: 4AGTE questions

Postby Bagpuss » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Well, I'm leaning more and more towards the turbo setup after researching the costs of setting one up, the only issue I'm getting stuck on is the cost of swapping over to a w58 box, Tony I don't suppose you could shed some light on that? Cost all in that is, including prop shafts, adapter plates, clutch, box etc.

Cheers!
Bagpuss

Postby Tony N » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:47 pm

I'll let you know when it's done as I'm not sure yet :lol:

Asking prices for W58s seem to be around £300, which is similar to T50s so you can offset that cost by selling your T50.

I got a clutch plate made for 75 delivered so that wasn't too bad.

I'm not sure how much the adapter plate will be as the guy's still working on it...

I've got the front part of the Supra prop which may bolt up to the rear part of the 86 prop once the flange is redrilled, worse case I'll have to get it modded by a prop maker.

I'll bash out a mount from some angle or something, and the other bits are an adaptor for the thrust bearing and modding the release bearing carrier .

Basically I'm copying what this guy did http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/not-so-diy-made-a-t-50-bellhousing-to-w58-transmission-adap/t/9245
Tony N

Postby GTRJazz » Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm

From a engineering point of view the SR is a good choice engine fits the bay well no problems with the Nissan 5 speed gearbox just puts the gear stick back a couple of inches. The alloy head and block help to offset the extra weight of the crank and turbo . Reliable and plenty of tuning parts around.
GTRJazz

Postby Bagpuss » Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 am

In terms of figures the SR is well worth doing, however if I was going to go for a full swap it'd have to be the 1UZ just for the huge torque curve, and the exhaust note! I was more just looking for a way to gain power and save money, however the more I look in to doing the turbo conversion the more I realise I'll have to spend getting it sorted...
Bagpuss

Postby Tony N » Wed May 07, 2014 3:38 pm

One thing I'll add regarding the SR conversion is don't expect to get a more reliable transmission as part of the deal, from my experience they're not much more durable than a T50, but are easier and cheaper to get hold of...
Tony N

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Tony N wrote:One thing I'll add regarding the SR conversion is don't expect to get a more reliable transmission as part of the deal, from my experience they're not much more durable than a T50, but are easier and cheaper to get hold of...

People swap from the S15 six speed gearbox for the S14 five speed as it is stronger used in many 400bhp + cars , no good getting one from a 100k car though and expecting it to last

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 pm.

Previous

Return to General Chat