brakes

For all your general chat needs...

brakes

Postby Keef » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi, I need some help. I'm looking to replace the discs all round on my 87 coupe but I'm not having much luck finding anything. I can get rear discs from Toyota but I cant find front discs. Can anybody suggest where I might find some. I only need Standard parts or as near Standard I just want to be able to drive the car again, after 10 years.
thanks
Keef

Re: brakes

Postby Chaycore » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:55 pm

eBay.. search AE86 front discs and take your pick. I bought some off there yesterday
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby Keef » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Thank you
Now I am spoilt for choice. Some seem very cheep, is it best to avoid these and pay for quality or does price not necessarily mean better.
Can I ask which ones you bought and why.
Cheers
Keef

Postby Bagpuss » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:13 am

A quick search on eBay threw up some Brembo discs for me, assuming they're genuine I'd say those are a safe bet. Only opinion I've heard regarding aftermarket brakes is to avoid drilled discs due to the possibility of weaknesses in the metal, although that will only affect the cheaper brands.
Bagpuss

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 am

Bagpuss wrote:A quick search on eBay threw up some Brembo discs for me, assuming they're genuine I'd say those are a safe bet. Only opinion I've heard regarding aftermarket brakes is to avoid drilled discs due to the possibility of weaknesses in the metal, although that will only affect the cheaper brands.

It affects all brands. You will have a more limited life with a drilled disc. Eventually the expansion and shrinking of the metal as it gets hot and cold will crack at the weak point. A better brand may last a bit longer due to more stable metal quality control but you can never guarantee it.
If you want Brembos I can sell at a better price delivered than ebay sellers. Saying that theres no UK stock at the moment.

K.
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Bagpuss » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Kev wrote:It affects all brands. You will have a more limited life with a drilled disc. Eventually the expansion and shrinking of the metal as it gets hot and cold will crack at the weak point. A better brand may last a bit longer due to more stable metal quality control but you can never guarantee it.
If you want Brembos I can sell at a better price delivered than ebay sellers. Saying that theres no UK stock at the moment.

K.

There you have it! I'd say get the brembo's simply for the brand name, the last thing you need is your discs warping / failing after a summer of hard driving.
Bagpuss

Postby Lauren » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm

You can get OEM front discs. Cost me £120 and warped just like the cheaper ones I had on before, as soon as I took it on track.

Whilst I prefer to use OEM parts, not sure it's worth it, though if you don't track it, it might be fine.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby Keef » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Thank you for the information. Just one more question does anyone have experience with Black Diamond brakes I believe they are made in London.
cheers
Keef

Postby Kev » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 pm

You will probably see a greater benefit running a cold air feed to the brake disc surface.

With small discs on track the high temperatures will always risk overheating the pad material. This will cause material to unevenly transfer to the disc surface and cause vibration under braking. I'm contemplating getting some CL Brakes custom made to solve that.
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:54 pm

I've just ordered some Mintex M1144. Should work as a fast road pad. I'll be fitting these with brand new plain Brembos this week so will let you know how I get on with them.
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Next

Return to General Chat