brakes

For all your general chat needs...

Re: brakes

Postby Lauren » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Kev wrote:You will probably see a greater benefit running a cold air feed to the brake disc surface.

With small discs on track the high temperatures will always risk overheating the pad material. This will cause material to unevenly transfer to the disc surface and cause vibration under braking. I'm contemplating getting some CL Brakes custom made to solve that.

In all honesty it surprised me as I'm not particularly hard on the brakes on track. I was a little miffed too after forking out for OEM discs at £120 for the front pair. I tracked two MR2 MK1SC's and an NA with stock discs and uprated pads with no problems.

I agree a good supply of air would likely help, I agree. I just wasn't aware the brakes were so marginal. My solution though is not to track my car. I sprint a GT86 which is well setup for trackwork, so it makes sense to stick with that.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby Chaycore » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 pm

cant say ive ever had any issues with brake fade on track, even after loads of laps. mintex 1155 pads, braided lines and fresh fluid. the car was stripped out so slightly lighter but not by a massive amount
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby Kev » Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Braking technique affects temperatures massively. You could be lighter on the brakes over a longer distance and it will generate more heat than leaving braking to the last minute, with shorter braking zone and then longer cooling times in between corners.
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Lauren » Thu May 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Kev wrote:Braking technique affects temperatures massively. You could be lighter on the brakes over a longer distance and it will generate more heat than leaving braking to the last minute, with shorter braking zone and then longer cooling times in between corners.

The discs warp way too easily, from what I recall it was there within a lap or two. I could only brake sharply as the judder was terrible. I've tracked many, many cars, but never had the problems I've had with this one. There must be something fundamentally wrong with the brakes, but I'm not sure what it is.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby Bagpuss » Fri May 02, 2014 1:17 am

Semi hijacking the thread but has anyone had any experience with project mu pads and rotors? They're all over the jap importer websites and they look a lot cheaper than other performance parts out there.
Bagpuss

Postby Kev » Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 am

Lauren wrote:
Kev wrote:Braking technique affects temperatures massively. You could be lighter on the brakes over a longer distance and it will generate more heat than leaving braking to the last minute, with shorter braking zone and then longer cooling times in between corners.

The discs warp way too easily, from what I recall it was there within a lap or two. I could only brake sharply as the judder was terrible. I've tracked many, many cars, but never had the problems I've had with this one. There must be something fundamentally wrong with the brakes, but I'm not sure what it is.

standard pads?
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Lauren » Fri May 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah was standard pads the second time round. First time round they were TRD pads IIRC that the car came over with.
Lauren

Postby N2AE86 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Personally don't feel you need anything more than stock discs on the 86 running road tires. Pad choice is more important. Regularly ran mine on track with stock discs and Mintex 1144 and never had any issues with heavy braking from decent speeds.
N2AE86

Previous

Return to General Chat