Hey Brothers'

For all your general chat needs...

Hey Brothers'

Postby Lukena » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey everyone, I am Luke :D I just bought a AE86 from JPN auctions for a pretty good price, however despite wanting one all these years, I never actually thought about looking into parts for them other then from Japan / used.

I am wondering if anyone can shoot me some links for parts available in the UK? Things for the electrical side, service parts & prep parts. Most used items I can buy directly from JP so thats no biggie, but some items I would like new of course.

I currently drive a 1.6 mx5 Eunos, nothing special but it got me a fair amount of seat time. To prevent any hate I will admit, the car will be used for drifting as its something I enjoy doing as and when possible, but before I do start to take it out on track, I want to make sure I always have some spares IE diff, shafts, arms etc.

Anyway, here is the new car :P

Its a 1984 with 145,123 Km on the clock, its got a bit of rust and has been abused a little BUT it was some-what cheap in my opinion after looking at UK prices for a fresh import ( I do all the work my self to save using the middle man ) it came via auction, so full vehicle inspection etc.

Spec; From what I can currently gather, it has 14'' wheels, can't tell what they are, I can only assume some kind of Equips.
Momo wheel & boss, TRD shift knob, Tanbe exhaust manifold, unknown back box ( unless someone can tell just by looking at it ) front coilovers & '' 8 levels '' shocks on the rear??
It also comes with an unknown 7 point roll cage, what is ideal for me as looking over here the going rate is about £700.

The plan is to wait till it arrives, get it road legal / ready, a full strip down to look / repair rust, a full service & belt ( when I find a place to buy these items from ) and just a general '' F yeah, I got a 86! '' Once its ready, legal, insured, mot'd & taxed I will probably spend the first month or so driving the car, getting use to it and seeing what I can improve just as a rough guide, then I shall go onto looking for either a whole new suspension setup, or just buy some rears for JPN and see how that goes to keep the costs down.

If anyone can give me some websites to find new parts / service parts etc please let me know, or a reg to use at somewhere like Euro to get something.

Thanks,

Luke
Original Parts Japan
Lukena

Re: Hey Brothers'

Postby Bagpuss » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Welcome to the board dude! The car looks in pretty good condition, can't imagine there's anything major to fix on it. Common places for rust are the rear arches and also the rear pockets (mine has rust here :P )

As for the service kits you can get them from Eurocarparts easy enough, A full service kit including belt and tensioner cost me well under £100.

Aside from that enjoy her dude! I'd say get her on the road and drive her tons before stripping it down, if you start fixing things straight away you'll quickly lose the love (I did this with mine, had a sh*t few months with it).
Bagpuss

Postby Lukena » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Hey! :D

Ah, I cant expect a 30 year old car to be rust free, but the less, the better. The inspection said it has rust, but non penetrating holes, so I guess thats good, but I would rather try and get them fixed before its too late ( I did this before, huge regret )

I want to get it over, service it and check it, drive it, skid it, then see how I can make the car work better for me, the downside is, I really don't want to ruin this and make it all '' missile '' style. For once I will actually service it when needed and if its really really luckily I may pay someone to clean it, as I lack in the side of things.

Fortunately, I aint power hungry, if I can skid a tiny 1.6 90BHP mx5, I am pretty sure this will be a bit easier, however, life is life and I like to have the extra lock, I heard with a non powered rack, fitting P/S knuckles will give you more lock with some rack spacers? As for suspension, I believe its on coilovers, only the rear springs are stock, could I not just buy some from japan that will lower the rear a bit? Or just go all out and buy some BC's mid next year?

As for diffs, if this is not a LSD, more then likely, I will weld it, been looking at auctions and LSDs are around 15,000 YEN, shafts are 10,000 YEN and diff casings are 7,000 YEN ( all approx ) will welding the open diff for now survive some abuse, or like some cars I know off they explode the second you give it some abuse?

Cheers :D
Original Parts Japan
Lukena

Postby Bagpuss » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:55 am

No problems with fixing stuff man! Just with these things once you do a big strip down you'll find there are many jobs to do! As for the missile spec I skid my car a fair bit as well as use it at various car events / down country lanes and it's still in pretty good condition, as long as you treat it with a bit of care you'll be fine :mrgreen:

I can't really compare an 86 to an mx5 as I haven't driven an mx5 for long enough, but as long as you aren't scared of going in to corners fast, weight shifting and kicking the clutch a lot you'll be fine. To give you an idea on the levels of abuse I've had mine for just over a year now, and I've blown up one engine, destroyed a TRD diff and ruined a clutch release bearing (my clutch is also one big heat spot). As a result I'm mid way through a 1UZ swap :lol:

With regards to diffs after I broke the TRD slipper I ended up getting Nev at Driftmoto to put together a new rear axle for me, with a cusco 2 way LSD and stronger shafts, that never missed a beat. It's definitely a case of budget when it comes to rebuilding them, there are plenty of options out there!

EDIT: Should probably have mentioned, I'm Ed, the guy that recommended the forum to you :D
Bagpuss

Postby Lukena » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Got it! Haha. I plan to just get it and drive it, but I do want to check & repair main bits, if it fails MOT that is :|

Ah, well you know what I do, so you know on the plus side, I can get 86 parts pretty damn cheap, whats a winner, but some items I would like to source new / within the UK.

I have been looking at itb's, set on Yahoo as we speak for 8,800 YEN

What else is needed? Mega Squirt? AIT sensor? Then a map? :D
Original Parts Japan
Lukena

Postby Lauren » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:57 pm

You can get all your service parts from Toyota easily enough, just pop into your local dealer with a pic (on your phone etc) of your VIN plate.

All 4AGE service parts are easily available. If you struggle, I can put you in touch with my friends at RRG Macc who can ship parts to you. If it's available anywhere from Toyota (even Japan) they can get it for you. I would only recommend OEM parts unless it's aftermarket stuff like HKS etc.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby 3SGEFiend » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:44 am

Hey lukena im looking to import an 86 as well, can you give some advice on how you did it? Sorry to hijack your post, but I can't pm yet?
3SGEFiend

Return to General Chat