Going to 8-6 day at Fuji 2014

For all your general chat needs...

Going to 8-6 day at Fuji 2014

Postby Lauren » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Okay, flights are booked, we jet off on the 22nd July and come back on the 5th August!

This is a trip of a lifetime, so we are looking at a couple of nights of acclimatisation in Tokyo before taking advantage of the week train pass that is avaiable to foreigners. It works out at around £161 each and you can use nearly all the trains, including the bullet trains, though not the fastest one which I'm guessing wil cost extra.

We haven't finalised a route yet, but we want to go to Hiroshima to see all the peace memorials. We are toying with stopping in at Kobe for a night, to try some very nice steak! Given the speed of the trains, it looks like covering distance is not a problem.

We need to work out how far we can get round in a week. So that is all to be decided.

For the second week, we are doing car stuff. We are looking at hiring an AE86 via 7 tune who take you on a guided tour of the Touge over 100kms. There might be an opportunity to drive a Hakosuka over a certain part of the mountain roads, which I may have to do as well.

I'm trying to see if I can get a factory tour at Gunma where the GT86 is made.

We are going to visit the Toyota museum in Nagoya.

Also we are of course going to Eight-six day which is at Fuji Speedway on the 3rd August.

I'm hoping to visit some tuner garages, Autobacs and also to go and see some drifting.

So much to plan, but am now very excited! :)

Any tips on things to do and see would be welcome.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Re: Going to 8-6 day at Fuji 2014

Postby Lauren » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 pm

After seeing a friend's post on FB today of her trip to Tec Arts (she was there today!) I just must go:

http://www.autolifers.com/garage-life-t ... hop-japan/

Just wow!
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby pack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Planning that same trip for 2015! :mrgreen:
pack

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Lauren i hate you but in a nice way! :D The 86 dream trip!
I too am planning a trip next year. I have found a tour that has the Toyota museum in Nagoya as an extra. If you stop in Kyoto a visit the AE86 Special Shop in Kyoto "Carland 86" Image

Copy and paste these 34°57'56.80"N 135°44'52.22"E into Google Earth.

Plenty of Pics and videos please!! 8-) :D :mrgreen:
Mark

Postby Lauren » Thu May 01, 2014 8:28 pm

We've already booked for Nagoya and will be going to the Toyota Museum.

We are going to stay in a Ryokan hotel in Kyoto and will do our best to get to Carland.

We've got so much to do, it's going to be non-stop! :)
Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm

I'm also trying to see if my local dealer can help arrange a factory tour at Gunma for the GT86/BRZ. Word is that they can be quite accommodating. I've also asked to see if I can get any special treatment for 8-6 day from Toyota. Well, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sat May 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Got this email back from my dealer:

Lauren i have got the Managing Director of TGB on the case,if he cant sort it i dont know who would.
He has direct contact with Akio Toyoda.

Fingers crossed!
Lauren

Postby Lauren » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:30 pm

We've got a lot of plans forming. With the start of the car stuff proper, I've hired a GT86 and am picking it up from Yokohama Station and driving it straight to Initial D heartland, Ikaho.

Thanks to a tip off from a Japanese friend, we are now driving up to Ikaho which is where Initial D was set. Mount Harunasan which is of course Mount Akina in Initial D. There are a lot of settings you can visit which the manga was based on. There is even a museum with the front of the original Fujiwara Tofu Shop complete with sign and obligatory AE86 next to it:

We can also drive the touge on 'Mount Akina'. Unfortunately it now has speed humps. :(

Our hotel is set in the mountain and has hot springs with some great views by the looks of it. :)

But I'll bet we'll find some good roads before heading over to Mount Fuji for our next stop. Reckon there might so much Initial D stuff that it may be worth a further day trip out from Yokohama. :)

We are also having a factory tour of the GT86 factory in Gunma which was a bit of a result as I got my Japanese friend from Tein UK organise it. Easier when you speak Japanese. Unfortunately Toyota were no help at all.
Lauren

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Sadly the shop used it the movie is gone :(
I don't know if that is front was from the original shop it or not.

Noriyaro aka Alexi went to visit the spot only to find an empty lot. You can read what happen here http://noriyaro.com/2010/09/tofu-no-more-the-real-initial-d-fujiwara-tofu-ten-location/
Mark

Postby Lauren » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am

Yep, went in 2010. I think they preserved the sign which is what ended up in the museum, pictured with the original owners from what I understand.

The other pics (I think) are of what is there now the land has been built on.
Lauren

Next

Return to General Chat