Brake servo

Got a problem? Let the Brotherhood help!

Brake servo

Postby jab » Mon May 26, 2014 11:07 am

Just posted a wanted ad for an early model brake servo in the for sale/wanted section but does anyone know of another (non AE86) bolt-on servo option that has the horizontal m/c mounting studs?
jab

Re: Brake servo

Postby dogger » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:27 pm

It's not completely tested yet, but in my build i have a Honda Civic servo and master cylinder.
I wanted a bigger master cylinder, like the Nissan BM one for my 4 pot brembos, and a Honda mate of mine told me the old b18 engined aerodeck Civic had a 1" bore, so i bought one with the servo attached off ebay for about £30 and when i looked at the 4 bolt attachment- it slotted straight onto the bulkhead on the Corolla!
A little bit of luck involved, but all you have to do is unscrew the Honda fork end off and screw yourToyota one on and it all fits together!

I think when i looked a lot of rebuild kits were either discontinued or getting quite expensive, but i can't remember if that was for early or late spec ones.
dogger

Postby Bagpuss » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 am

Keep us posted with your results man, I've found the stock 86 brake setup to be average at best, maybe it's down to my system but regardless of the pads, rotors and the amount of bleeding I do they're always sub standard!
Bagpuss

Postby jab » Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Sorry, only just seen the replies.

My front set up is now: 4 pot Brembo calipers from Focus RS/Peugeot 405 with Greenstuff pads. Mini Cooper vented discs. Servo from MK1 MR2 (straight bolt on/slight mix n match linkage required) and M/C from V6 Camry (25.4mm bore, ideally suited to calipers) which bolts straight to the MR2 servo.

Haven't had chance to test them in anger yet, will be on track at Castle Combe at Japfest so will get a good workout then!
jab

Postby jab » Thu May 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Oh and I also agree that stock brakes, even when in tip top condition aren't brilliant but then I do tend to be hard on brakes!
jab

Postby dogger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Jab- thats interesting as i'm using the alloy brembo 4 pots from a Fiat coupe 20v turbo- they are the same as the Focus RS ones- would be interesting to see how you did yours and compare notes!
dogger

Postby jab » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Yep, they are the same caliper design and I actually bought a set of Fiat Brembo's to start with but couldn't see how they would fit? The bolt spacing was too large. Ended up flogging them, buying some off a 405 and was then able to buy an off the shelf adaptor.

The result is some awesome brakes. They performed well at Castle Combe although I was not giving it anywhere near 100%. Only downside, and I've found out its a common problem - they squeal like buggery on the road at times! On track there wasn't a peep.

I'm looking forward to the next track session now I know the car works!
jab

Postby dogger » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 am

What discs are you using?
post a pic and when i get chance i'll put one up- you show me yours and i'll show you mine :-)
dogger

Postby jab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Discs are Mini Cooper

jab

Return to Technical