Registering my AE86

Got a problem? Let the Brotherhood help!

Registering my AE86

Postby jajake » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi everyone - newbie here with an AE86 on the way from Japan!

I'm ready to get insurance quotes before the car arrives, but I've just had a (probably stupid) thought - are Sprinters registered as Sprinters or Corollas when they arrive in the UK? I have no idea what to ask for in terms of quotes, and more importantly what to put on the paperwork requesting the V5 from the DVLA...

Thanks for the help
jajake

Re: Registering my AE86

Postby Bagpuss » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

Mine's registered as an AE86, but I think that's down to someone bodging my V5 when it came in the country :mrgreen: I'd say they're registered as Corollas, that's what they are after all.
Bagpuss

Postby Chaycore » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 pm

jajake wrote:Hi everyone - newbie here with an AE86 on the way from Japan!

I'm ready to get insurance quotes before the car arrives, but I've just had a (probably stupid) thought - are Sprinters registered as Sprinters or Corollas when they arrive in the UK? I have no idea what to ask for in terms of quotes, and more importantly what to put on the paperwork requesting the V5 from the DVLA...

Thanks for the help

Mines registered as a Sprinter Trueno on the documentation. I've got it insured with HIC insurance, just explained to them its the import equivalent of a Corolla GT Coupe.

Hope that helps man! Got some pics of the car coming in?
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby jajake » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks for the replies - I think I'll be fine to register it as a Sprinter Trueno then. I got a quote yesterday from Footman James as a Corolla GT - would the actual cover letter need to match what the V5 request says?

Yep, got some pics of it sitting at the Japanese docks here: http://imgur.com/a/I7wc8
jajake

Postby Bagpuss » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:04 pm

That's an incredibly clean example there, do your best to look after it fella!
Bagpuss

Postby Chaycore » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

That looks awesome! How soon till it arrives?

As long as the insurance company knows its an import then there shouldnt be an issue. Would advise insuring it for an agreed value too!
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby jajake » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Start of July, I can't wait! I've wanted one for years so another couple of weeks is just about bearable...

Yep I got a few quotes after the advice from on here and they're happy to put sprinter trueno on the cover letter but quoted me on the basis of it being the corolla gt equivalent. Think I'll go with Footman James, got an agreed value too.
jajake

Postby Chaycore » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm

just in time for 5th Retro Toyota Gathering and Retro Rides in August :D. Hope you can come along to meet some of the folk
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby jajake » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm

I'd love to, but I'm actually out of the country for a few months from next month... Will probably get to drive my AE86 a couple times, then it'll be sat in the garage until next year. Will defo come along to some meets next year though!
jajake

Postby Kev » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Please dont turn up until I paint mine red. Flipping jealous lol
I struggled to find a red one going for the right money so I've bought a second panda to respray instead
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Next

Return to Technical