Round 3.. Zenki Trueno

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Round 3.. Zenki Trueno

Postby Chaycore » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Copied this over from the blog (http://www.corollabrotherhood.com):

While some things like bad events come in 3's, Lionel Richie may beg to differ. And in my case, some good things happen in 3's too.

After speaking to Paddy at JDMAuctionWatch for a few weeks and eyeing up some potential candidates in the auctions, this specific car kept coming up. It never met the reserve which was higher than my maximum so I never gave it much thought. However on the most recent occasion the car popped up, the decision to put a bid in was made.

Waking up the next morning to see that we had won the car put a huge smile on my face. We knew the car was clean, but not much else other than it was very stock. After getting a friend to translate the auction sheet, it developed that the car had 163 thousand KM, only one owner from new and the car came with evidence of services and registration for the duration of its life! This is almost unheard of nowadays, with most AE86's passing through as many as 10-20 owners throughout their near 3 decades since production.

A few days after the auction was won, the car was transported to the agents yard where I received the photos below. Now the agonising wait has begun, with me checking the ship location on a daily basis, with the ship currently sat off the coast of Mexico.

I've already started amassing parts for the car, but make no mistake, the originality of the car was a big drawcard. Any parts removed from the car will not be sold on, but rather labelled and boxed so that the car can be returned to stock condition in the future again. The car currently only has 13in Watanabes and an aftermarket exhaust, which I believe to be a HKS one. From the factory it came with Aircon, power steering, electric mirrors and a sunroof, which will make it a great car to use daily in summer.

The car will not be as hardcore as my previous N2 Trueno, but will see both road and track/drift use. In anticipation of this, I have so far purchased two seats (more on these later as they have some neat history) and a rebuilt TRD 2Way LSD, fitted with thicker clutch plates and a 4.7 ratio to go in. On the way from Japan in the next few weeks hopefully are my new wheels, 14x8.5-13 and 14x9-19 RS Watanabe wheels in gold. In the next few weeks I will hopefully have sorted coilovers and RCA's, with an adjustable panhard rod being made by Neil over at Driftoy.

Anyway, onto the photos.. I will hope to keep a build thread updated for this car both on the blog and the various forums:

AE86 001 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 002 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 003 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 004 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 005 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 006 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 007 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 014 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 013 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 012 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 015 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 016 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 017 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 019 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 018 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 022 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 024 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 025 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 023 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 020 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 011 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 010 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 009 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 008 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

thats it for now.. more soon!
Chaycore
Site Admin

Re: Round 3.. Zenki Trueno

Postby Chaycore » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm

After all that wait, the car has arrived!

It's cleaner than I could have imagined, with only a tiny rust scab on the sunroof skin. Won't be able to drive it for a little while yet. Need to get it MOT'd, registered, tax and insured which isn't cheap. Also needs four new tyres.

But I'm happy! The amount of service history that came with the car was also staggering. I'll get a few photos of it and post them up soon.

Gave the car a quick wash in the freezing cold wind but plan on giving it a proper clean if we get a warm day soon.

I am now at the point where I'm unsure as to whether I want to fit the wheels I've ordered (14x8.5 -13 and 14x9 -19 Watanabes) as it would mean flaring the arches which are really clean. I've paid for the wheels and the arduous 3 1/2 month wait for them to ship is nearly over. Most people would shudder at the thought of doing that to a tidy car but at the end of the day, I intend to keep the car for a long time and I'll be doing some modifications to enhance the drivability and looks. Decisions, decisions....

AE86 Arrival 001 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 002 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 003 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 004 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 005 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 006 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 007 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 008 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 009 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 010 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr

AE86 Arrival 011 by chaydon.ford, on Flickr
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby Kev » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Looks great! Rolled arches do look good on them so go ahead with that modification. They could always be put back to standard if you should really ever sell. Any good bodyshop can do that..
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Lauren » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 pm

I really like, it Chay. Looks like a clean original car, even sitting at a stock ride height.

Though I'd mod it with wheels and suspenders, exhaust and all that, I'd be a bit unsure about the rolling the arches on such a clean car. I know I couldn't do it to mine.

But your car of course. Looking forward to seeing it! :)
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby jimjimkp61 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Love it Chay!

I say hack it up and bone it out, Its just a piece of metal. Lets face it, you will love it.

Kind regards,

James Blance
Butcher of nice things to make awesome.
jimjimkp61

Return to Build Threads