Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe

Postby mad_matt » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi All,
Thought I might as well pull together a thread for my 1985 Toyota Levin Coupe (Kouki).
It's had a fair bit of work done to it in terms of rust prevention, added bits and widened steel arches.

Spec
Engine
4AGE 20v Blacktop (97 Spec)
80mm Velocity Stacks
S-86 Engineering Distributor Relocation Kit
Magnecor KV85 HT Leads
HKS Exhaust Manifold
Unknown Stainless Exhaust
Unknown Catch Can

Drivetrain
Unknown Clutch (strong engagement)
T50 Gearbox
TRD 2 Way Diff

Suspension & Braking
Cusco Front Coilovers + Camber Adjustable Top Mounts
Cusco Front + Rear Strut Braces
Cusco Brake Cylinder Stopper
KYB Adjustable Rear Shocks + TRD Lowering Springs
AW11 Manual Steering Rack with Power Steering Knuckles, T3 Steering Adapter Bush, AW11 UJ and T3 MK3 Supra Intermediate Shaft
Unknown Front and Rear Uprated ARB (might be Hardrace but not too sure..)
Unknown Adjustable Panhard Rod
Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Endless CCX Pads

Wheels & Tyres
SSR Longchamp XR4 - Polished, 6x14 et?: Relegated to skid rims.
Rota Grid V - Black, 7x15 et15 & 8x15 et0, Federal 595RSR all round. 25MM Spacers on Rear.

Interior
Standard Seats
Personal Neo Grinta 330mm Suede Wheel
Epani Racing Titanium Gear Knob
Broadway 300mm Convex Mirror
Sony Aux/Radio Head Unit
Uprated Speakers

When I got it:

Now:

Been a bit of a tough story this one :(

Picked it up on August 15th.
Took a flight out from Edinburgh to Belfast and then drove it from Belfast to Larne for the ferry to Cairnryan, then to Stranraer to tax it and back home to Clackmannan.

It had the annoying mechanical chime over 100kmph (pulled that out quite quickly) which did my head in and a fair missfire from 6.8 to 7.5 and was just generally running a bit sh*t.

The power steering rack was completely gone and 2 of the wheels were buckled...good start :(
Tried to start it on Monday morning and it failed me. Total - 3 Days Driven.

Had an individual COP conversion on the OE ECU which causes load of issues so an engine re-wire, new ECU, S-86 dizi relocation kit and magnecor custom lead set later, she sparked up.

New Leads

Fitted

After that, I got the rack pulled out for an AW11 manual rack, pulled all the power steering lines and pump out save the extra weight and get a bit more space for activities on the exhaust side of the engine.

Then engine started death rattle like a goodun :( think it was just oil starvation after sitting for too long but who knows, fecked now. Total - 5 Days Driven.

It has been a mahoosive pain in the ass. But hopefully I can get back to driving and enjoying it with a new 20v and then have more power and less fear with a fresh build in the new year :)

I liked the longchamps but the fitment was pretty weak and wanted some wide 15s, at least until I could look at getting them straightened - one is bent to 10-12mm deflection :(

A couple of older pics while it was on the XR4s.

Front Tyres (205/50R15 on back)

Some mesh for a screen in the TB to save it from sucking up too much crap

Grill Polished

I've got a load of parts waiting to go in it - Shifter rebuild, Cusco Catch Can, Dash Lights, Replacement Switch Plate for heater controls and then I can start enjoying it again :P
mad_matt

Re: Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe

Postby mad_matt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Got some pics of the damage caused :(

Cleaned up and wrapped the manifold while it was out the car. Turns out it had been hacked up a bit to make it fit...

Horrible itchy stuff!!!
A combination of Tomei Wrap and DEI Titanium.

Also a pic of some of the parts I've got in/waiting

Love the colour and weight of this - Epmani Racing Ti

To replace my current one as it's cracked to bits

Engine has been bought and shipping is arranged for Monday, should have it by Thursday and running by Friday :)
mad_matt

Postby Chaycore » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 pm

sorry to hear of the issues with the car so early on! nice selection of parts to go back on it though.

when you did the aw11 rack, was it just the rack itself you changed? or did you need a new steering knuckle ect? i'm removing my ps at the moment and prob going to loop the lines, but if i can swap it out completely I will.

what wheels did you decide to go for in 15s? If you do decide to sell the longchamps let me know, I've been after a set in 14 inch for a while!

Also, id avoid those mesh filters on the intake, they mess the airflow up and sap a good few bhp. if you can get a ITG sausage filter, thats the best bet. Open trumpets look cool but the amount of stuff that gets sucked in will rattle the engine again within a few thousand miles :(
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby mad_matt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:11 am

Chaycore wrote:sorry to hear of the issues with the car so early on! nice selection of parts to go back on it though.

Cheers Chay.
I feel a bit f*cked over by it tbh. Previous owner couldn't give a flying f*ck.

Most of the parts are back on already but haven't had any time to get any pics taken again before it was snatched away again :'(
Hopefully I'll get some good pics this weekend :D

Chaycore wrote:when you did the aw11 rack, was it just the rack itself you changed? or did you need a new steering knuckle ect? i'm removing my ps at the moment and prob going to loop the lines, but if i can swap it out completely I will.

To replace the PS rack, I used a T3 adapter bush (GRP4 Fabrications in Ireland produce the same), a 2nd hand AW11 Universal Joint (eBay), Prothane Main Steering rack bush (eBay) and a T3 produced Supra MK3 Intermediate shaft.
You CAN just have the AE86 intermediate shaft lengthened by welding/sleeving but my parents were Stateside anyway so I saved on postage.

AE86 shaft is a PIG to come out. I resorted to having the original (and f*cked) AE86 UJ welded to a slide hammer and then bolted to the IS and then add heat...took about an hour for the bastard to come out :(

Worth doing in the end though, I used the PS knuckles so I'll get a lock picture next time I'm at the car.

Chaycore wrote:what wheels did you decide to go for in 15s? If you do decide to sell the longchamps let me know, I've been after a set in 14 inch for a while!

Just went for Rota Grid Vs (15x7 et 15 and 15x8 et 0 on 25mm Spacer), please don't hate hahah. At the time, it was that or leave myself screwed for Meister S1s...sometime yet.
You wheelwhoring? :P I'll keep in touch buddy, going to see if someone up here can straighten the rear 2.
I'll have some 13x7 et 6 Starmags soon for my skid rims anyways :)

Chaycore wrote:Also, id avoid those mesh filters on the intake, they mess the airflow up and sap a good few bhp. if you can get a ITG sausage filter, thats the best bet. Open trumpets look cool but the amount of stuff that gets sucked in will rattle the engine again within a few thousand miles :(

Unfortunately, it's the lesser of 2 evils at the moment. I know the Sock filters also suck a bit in terms of Airflow and Power but as I plan on having a ITG set-up (Carbon Trumpet Tray and Domed sausage) on my new build so I'm better off keeping one fresh for that :)
mad_matt

Postby Lauren » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 pm

You really want an airbox, like this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tQipO7swFnY/U ... C_0996.JPG

Can't post the image as the forum is limited on pixel size it seems.

I took this pic when I visited KMS in Japan. Obviously Koshimisu San can knock one up for you (for a price I expect), but I'm not sure what else is available.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby mad_matt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:33 am

Lauren wrote:You really want an airbox, like this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tQipO7swFnY/U ... C_0996.JPG

Can't post the image as the forum is limited on pixel size it seems.

I took this pic when I visited KMS in Japan. Obviously Koshimisu San can knock one up for you (for a price I expect), but I'm not sure what else is available.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of that if I'm honest, very much function over form but thanks for the link anyways.
I'll be going for this setup:
mad_matt

Postby mad_matt » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 pm

In todays episode of "Matt threatens the Corolla with a jerrycan of petrol".....

New engine was in on Tuesday evening and runs strong as hell. Had some issues with bleeding it all through and KEPT getting issues.
Coolant lines kept pressurising and boiling over, ended up having a bleed valve put in to try and purge it easier, still having issues.

- Thermostat removed: no difference
- Heater matrix removed: no difference
- Compression test: 200/200/195/200 (Anything above 193 is considered "Good")
- Tried big f*ck off RB25 Alloy 50mm core rad: just took longer to pressurise and boil over.

Starting to suspect hairline crack in head or gasket having a minute leak.
New TRD gasket ordered and will be doing new thermostat and timing belt while we're there!

Really hope I fall back in love with this car when it's back on the road :cry:
mad_matt

Postby Lauren » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:40 am

Hmm, bleeding the system is normally a total non-event. Not like an MR2 which takes a whole lot longer.

I hope you find the issue and it's not a cracked head or block. Whats the waterpump like?

One thing I would say is that rubbish like Bluprint use an impeller that rusts (I know it shouldn't with the correct coolant) as opposed to the brass that Toyota use. Might be worth a check.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby mad_matt » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 pm

I know, we were expecting it to be a little difficult as it's a home made water relocation kit but not as difficult as it has been.

BUT! We have found the solution.

The waterflow at rear of the Cylinder head needs drilled out on the new engine (old engine had this done already and we didn't notice :roll: :lol: ) so the heads have been swapped over, pulled out the A/C Matrix in the dash while we were there and now I can enjoy it again :)
No waterflow/heating issues, happy as larry.

Pick it up again tomorrow for a quick blat back home and then out for a Christmas party :D

Onto the next issue :lol:

EDIT: Sorry Lauren, forgot to reply to you!
The water pump is/was fine on both engines, still looked like Toyota parts. Will be replacing the built engine parts with genuine Toyota pumps, possibly Toda internals in the Oil pump but thermostat (might go TRD) and all seals/gaskets (excluding valve seals) will be genuine Toyota.

Current build list is looking like:
CP Pistons + BC Rods - ARP Rod bolts include
Tomei Poncams
Supertech or Toda Valve Springs
ACL Bearings
Supertech Valve Guides
Supertech Valve Seals
ARP Head Studs
ITG Trumpet Tray and Sausage Element Filter
OE Water Pump
T3 Pulley Set
Oil Filter Relocation/Cooler Assembly - Not sure of who does these yet.
Ex Manifold and System TBC
ORC 309 Series Clutch and Flywheel
mad_matt

Postby mad_matt » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:20 pm

She runs WELL :)

Just a couple of pics from when we were working on it.

New engine has a cover :)

Manifold on

AW11 Rack (Painted Black and Citroen Poseidon Blue (Pretty good match for Cusco Blue)), T3 Mk3 Supra Intermediate Shaft, AW11 UJ, Prothane Poly Bush and T3 Adapter Bush

Personal Neo Grinta 330mm Suede...although it isn't big enough and doesn't have enough dish so will be selling for a Nardi.

Original Dash lights, 2nd image enhanced for light

Will follow up with my new green LED backlight and some better pics :)
mad_matt

Next

Return to Build Threads