Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Re: Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe

Postby Lauren » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 am

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Might as well lose those mph stickers though, they seem to be in the wrong place. Must admit, I just drive in km/h in my cars these days. You get used to it easily enough after a while.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby mad_matt » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07 am

Lauren wrote:Glad you got it sorted. :)

Might as well lose those mph stickers though, they seem to be in the wrong place. Must admit, I just drive in km/h in my cars these days. You get used to it easily enough after a while.

I am too :)

Made todays Ice/Snow driving interesting. Even just in the wet, it spins up 205 section tyres going straight in 2nd.
Might change off the 595RSRs for the time being, back to the rain sports.

I am going to I think, there a hugely off but at least on the safe side of "off".
Downloaded a GPS speedo for my phone so should be good all fine, not sure just how inaccurate the OE Speedo is with 205/50R15s on the back!
mad_matt

Postby Lauren » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Check with GPS speedo, recalibrate your brain to the corresponding kilometres an hour. :)

I would think a more appropriate tyre for the colder conditions would likely help. RSR's are more of a summer track tyre.

FWIW I've got my GT86 on winter tyres and it's absolutely all over the place!
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby mad_matt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:27 am

I checked my speedo error, sitting off by roughly +15km at 120k.

I'm now at a bit of a turning point of what I do about engine rebuild and have fallen to 3 options:
1. Rebuild 20v as High Comp/High Rev NA - Expensive
2. Rebuild 20v as fully built (reliable) Turbo ~ 220bhp with scope for more - More Expensive
3. Buy 16v and build as turbo with used turbo kit and GZE rods/crank - Cost effective

Anyone got any suggestions/experience?
mad_matt

Postby Chaycore » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I'd say keep it as stock as possible. OEM ecu, the lot. More than enough power to have fun and all the maps for cold start, idle ect.

when you start turbo'ing you need to look to uprate brakes and more importantly gearbox and rear axle...
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby mad_matt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 am

Well...I've decided to go a COMPLETELY different route to this from my original ideas.
I looked at the cost of it and a package came up at a similar price so I will be using a **** Engine with Gearbox and the back axle from a Liteace.

Hahahah, wasn't going to give that away so easily would I? :lol: It's coming at the end of the month ;)

As such, I'll be selling my full 20v set-up:
- 20v Blacktop with SQ Engineering Distributor relocation kit and Blanking Plate, TRD Headgasket, Converted loom and water system, 70mm Velocity Stacks, Custom Magnecor KV85 Competition Leads, 6MT ECU, Engine Loom, Radiator/Hoses etc.
- T50 Gearbox, TRD Short shift (TBC), T3 Shift Bush Kit
- Prop
- Kouki Disc braked Rear Axle, TRD 2 Way (Or Cusco - Can't remember which one it is!), Endless CCX Pads.
I'll do a bit of digging in terms of prices and put up a for sale post in the next few weeks :)

So, I bought myself a cheap, "retro" RWD soft top - 1990 Eunos Roadster, that I'm going to have some fun with while my Levin is off the road.

Rust has set into various bits so will be sorting that while the engine is out and trimming/shaving/filling the engine bay to get rid of surplus mounting brackets and holes. Then it'll get a fresh lick of paint :)

Watch this space :)
mad_matt

Postby Chaycore » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 pm

I just hope its staying Toyota engined! :D
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby mad_matt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Chaycore wrote:I just hope its staying Toyota engined! :D

:twisted:
It will be inkeeping with the feel and original character of the car :lol:
mad_matt

Postby Bagpuss » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:22 am

Go all out and V8 it, I've had it done to mine and the results are insane :mrgreen:
Bagpuss

Postby mad_matt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:29 am

Bagpuss wrote:Go all out and V8 it, I've had it done to mine and the results are insane :mrgreen:

(Un)fortunately, the new running gear is now sitting in the garage so not going to V8 it now :lol:
New stuff should keep me happy for a good while :)
mad_matt

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads