Danger Style AE86..

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Re: Danger Style AE86..

Postby Tony N » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Nothing wrong with Gold on Red mate!
Tony N

Postby Sweeps » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I SO want to twin with you Paz. I think the last time was at Donington way back when i couldn't keep up in an R32
Sweeps

Postby PazzaAE86 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 pm

It's deffo gonna happen this year man! Once its done i'll be driving as often as i can afford so we should get some teesside ripping going?

This is how it is as of today, lots more to do but still... I havent welded for years so i guess it could be prettier but its all going to be sealed back up so aslong as it penetrated, and is adding a bit of extra strength then thats cool. Have been filling all un-needed holes etc also.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znipwu8nzr7gr ... .21.35.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd8zgkln8p8cy ... .28.08.jpg

Im in the process of spot welding the bay, the car has forced my hand a bit.. Its had a small bump on the passenger leg at some point and has been straigtened again, but ofcourse the paint came off during this process and rust started to creep in, and i also wanted to make sure the chassis leg hadnt lost any strength so spot welding was the most sensible thing to do i guess... And there are a few places where more serious rust has crept in so will be welding a plate in on the bottom of the passenger strut turret.

Hopefully be doing bulkhead this week.
PazzaAE86

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Welding doesnt look that bad at all. Spot weldings relatively simple!

Look a great car. Does the welding improve the feel from the chassis at all or is it more to hold up against abuse when used hard?
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 pm

The only problem with spotting is the different thickness and condition of the metal i was welding with. One part of the engine bay would be simple, just buzz it up, other parts i needed to figure out which panel was best to use as parent material to avoid blowing through, and that was different all over the bay lol. Ive no idea on the feel of it, and the added strength is all theoretical i guess, but anything that helps!

And in other news, this just happened...

Brand new from RS Watanabe. Lucky boy!

Postby PazzaAE86 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Oh my... This still gets me dizzy after 15 years. Thats a good sign.
PazzaAE86

Postby Sweet_Billy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:16 pm

darn ME.

that wheel + tyre + arch combo gets me dizzy too :D
drives a tuned 4K KP62
Sweet_Billy

Postby PazzaAE86 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Happy days, big step forward. Sanding, seam sealer and paint next, then re-assembly.
PazzaAE86

Postby PazzaAE86 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:12 pm

So after many, many hours of engine bay resto... Its now free of rust and un-wanted brackets and holes/threads, and re-assembled..

So then i moved onto the engine..

This picture was taken the day after the plane crashed into the mountain... After buying all these parts, pistons, rings, having the H-Beam rods little ends honed to the gudgeon pins, Head Gasket from the States blah blah.. I went to gap the piston rings and realised the block was overbored to 82mm. :oops: So i either needed to spend a rake of cash on new pistons, headgasket and potentially conrods or i had to get a new block.

I shone the Corolla Brotherhood Light into the Sky and by that night i had a new block, and the bores were honed and the block skimmed by the next day. Go team. Turns out it was from Ian Grattons Levin, has been sat for 6 years in Jays Shed. lol.

So i built the motor up, and i didnt much enjoy it to be fair. So many different torque specs and instructions for the same bolts and fasteners its hard to find what was actually correct.

Bottom end done, 7 Rib Non Oil Squirter block, consists of a 42mm Crank, ACL Race Mains, ACL Race Conrod bearings, ARP Main Stud Kit (80fl/lbs), ARP2000 Conrod Bolts (55ft/lbs), H-Beam Con-rods and 20v Blacktop Pistons (11.1 CR). I used Assembly Lube on everything and learned something.... That stuff is sticky, obviously to stay on the bearing faces, bores and piston skirts etc before fire up... However, as a side effect it makes the engine SO tight on the initial rotation after its been standing for a while. Once youve hand spun the engine about 10-15 degree's its fine and spins over nicely, but man when i first tried to spin it by hand it was stuck fast. Got me pretty worried!

The head has a Cometic MLS Gasket (0.67mm) and is a 20v Blacktop head with Toda 304 10mm lift camshafts, Toda Valve Springs, Toda Adjustable Cam Pulleys and a port/polish job. So that was clayed up and then fitted with OEM 20v Head Studs (22ft/lbs +90 =90). And thats that. All assembled, hopefully it'll work!!!

Waiting for water line kit, and then its time to throw it back in the hole.

Phew.
PazzaAE86

Postby Kev » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:23 pm

The 14 x 9's fit on the front under standard rolled arches?
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads