R's Garage Trueno

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

R's Garage Trueno

Postby jimjimkp61 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 am

Hello all,

I am 22 years old living in Wellington City, The capital of New Zealand. When i was 16 years old i bought a 1996 Gt-b legacy wagon. It was GREAT! It was turbo, Had the drivetrain out of a Type R STI Impreza and went GREAT! Until the fact i was 16 came into play on a late night jaunt down a rural gravel road. I spun it out, grazed the bumper against the bank and almost urinated in my pants.

After that, I came to possibly the most unusual conclusion a 16 year old car nutt could make regarding the ownership of a fast car.
It had to go. In hindsight, I made a fantastic decision. The irresponsible teenager decided he would die due to not being able to resist temptation.
Remove temptaion and replace it with somethng i would have to drive the tits off of to get anywhere remotely fast.

The Subaru was gone, and within a few days... A completely factory KP61 Starlet Sprint in White (with factory option Black interior) was welcomed into my life.

After 6 months of spirited driving, I run a bearing in the MIGHTY 4k. So it was removed and a plan was made.

17 years old, and ready to build my first race car out of an immaculate Starlet. Complete AE86 running gear and diff with TRD 2 way was purchased, and it was time to get installing. Going in blind we Neglected to realise the AE86 diff was far too wide to fit snug under the guards.

A full TRD N2 kit was purchased VIA the homeland Japan. It was all go, Until it came time to fab it up. I was 17 and working 40h a week at Highschool. I Just couldnt afford it.

So i began the search for a car it would all bolt into without much fabrication. I stumbled across an AE85 in primer with 4agze and 22 spline T50 already fitted. PERFECT (insert too good to be true)

I picked it up, Started to pull it apart and found 13mm bolts, fencing wire and a whole bunch of botch jobs holding the car together.

To top it all off, The motor was seized. FANTASTIC!

The decision was made to sell the KP61 and just get serious with what i had. which was this... Taken the day of purchase.

and in 5 years, Between Highschool, Work, Getting a qualification, Working on friends cars, Getting drunk and finding sluts in town i made it look like this... (minor baremetal job and replacing every removable panel with fibreglass)

I will go into a bit more detail on some of the finer details later... But that is a decent start to my gay car.

Disclaimer ** Car appears black but has more that 5 cars worth of prismatique glitter in the base. If you dont like it, Stop reading now **

James Blance
R's garage
jimjimkp61

Re: R's Garage Trueno

Postby Chaycore » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 pm

You cant polish a turd.. but you can roll it in glitter!

Just kidding man, cars had an amazing transformation in the time you've had it... will it run under its own power this year?
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby jimjimkp61 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Chaycore wrote:You cant polish a turd.. but you can roll it in glitter!

Just kidding man, cars had an amazing transformation in the time you've had it... will it run under its own power this year?

Haha in most cases this is true! However, Nothing is un saveable! im hoping i can get it going by this time next year. But knowing me, I like upgrading things i just bought. So who knows really... Im in no major rush. The fun is in the build. (i have to say that because i have never actually driven a hachi and only been in one for all of 5 mins)
jimjimkp61

Postby jimjimkp61 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 pm

A quick overview on things i have done to the car so far...

EXTERIOR:
- Fibreglass Doors, Bootlid, Bumpers (front and rear), Skirts, Front guards and Dash board.
- Carbon Bonnet
- Polycarbonate windows (Glass front screen)
- CBY flares
- Full black inside and out repaint with Prismatique glitter on outside coats
- Moroso bonnet and trunk pins
- Full set of SSR EX-C Mesh wheels being built to 15x9 -40 offset rear and 15x8 -35 offset fronts
- Redline tail lights
- Deleted Fuel flap and locks
- T3 tow hook
- Replaced all bolts (where applicable) with either Stainless, Alloy or Hardened Allan key bolts for a bit of a dress up

INTERIOR
- Autometer Gauge set
- Racetech RT1000 seats
- Sylvester FIA 5 point harnesses
- Suede Steering wheel (looking to replace with Personal or OMP item due to needing a new column because i have pushed driver seat almost into he rear seat position)
- Tilton 600 Series floor mounted 3 pedal box
- Removed Spare tyre well and plated over for flat boot floor
- 40l Plastic JAZZ Fuel cell mounted in rear seat position behind passenger seat to put all weight inside wheelbase/rollcage for safety and minimise overhang weight to combat oversteer
- Hydraulic Handbrake
- Dog legged shifter (so i can reach due to seat position change) with Black TRD Duracon Gearknob. (looks like a buttplug)
- 8 Point Weld in Chromoly rollcage (goes through to front struts to tie the car in. Stitch welded at multiple points to add ridgidity)
- False floor to be made to sit infront of pedal box
- Carbon or thin fibreglass door cars to be made
- Box to be made to cover fuel pumps and cell to seal off from cabin.

DRIVETRAIN/SUSPENSION

- 16v Smallport head on 20v bottom end. Both shaved to raise compression.
- Supercharged rods
- Custom 4-1 Exhaust manifold port matched to the now much bigger exhaust ports
- Bigport cams (will likely step up to Toda cams or similar)
- 45mm Weber DCOE carbs on custom manifold
- Stainless Weber Trumpets
- Ignition timing will be done via Link ECU/Individual coils
- New Altinator, Waterpump, Thermostat ETC
- Aluminium radiator
- 6 puk Clutch with Chromoly flywheel (looking to upgrade to twinplate with hydo throwout with box upgrade)
- T50 22 spline box (am looking to upgrade to either TRD gearset, 4 speed DOG box or Altezza 6 speed)
- Custom made gearbox bracket
- Custom made 1 piece driveshaft
- AE86 rear With TRD 2way Mechanical LSD (potential upgrade to weir axles if it becomes an issue)
- Front adjustable Coilovers Feature EIBACH springs with Koni adjustable inserts Adjustable tophats etc
- QA1 Rosejointed and adjustable LCA
- Chromoly Castor arms with QA1 Rosejoints
- Remounted Sway bar to strut on custom made mounts (originally mounted on LCA) (Can run a smaller swaybar with more effect)
- Full T3 Willwood front brake kit (280mm disc, Willwood Dynalite 4pots, Billet adaptor bracket, Billet AE86 Replacement brake brackets)
- Rear Suspension is Koni Adjustable shock with EIBACH rear spring on adjustable spring perch
- Panhard bar removed and replaced with Watts Linkage setup
- 3 link Arm added to top of diff to combat roll steer
- QA1 Rose jointed Chromoly arms throughout
- Nolethane Bushes throughout
- Rear brakes will be Wilwood calipers with 260mm disc
- Swaybar standard for now. Will replace after testing is done
- Car will be running 200 wide Slicks or 205 Dot rated race tyres for wet weather

On the to do list (too long to write out fully)

- Rewire Fully (have already removed entire loom and headlights)
- Make LED inserts for rear brake lights and rain light
- Make rear diffuser
- Make fuel filler (coming out passenger side rear window due to fuel tank relocation)
- Purchase fuelpumps and braided lines to plumb car
- Make brakelines
- Apply decals as sponsors arrive
- Possible upgrade to Toyota Estima/Previa Diff with Altezza 2way Mechanical centre if slicks are too harsh.

jimjimkp61

Postby Team Tekno » Wed May 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Thats a serious spec what are you using the car for?
Team Tekno

Postby jimjimkp61 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Team Tekno wrote:Thats a serious spec what are you using the car for?

Just doing a bit of track work and hill climbs here in NZ. I have also just tube fronted the car and made the decision to go F20c with 6 speed.
Unfortunately, due to rule changes my flares are too wide for the class i want to race in. So it will mostly be an open class car. Meaning ill be racing house priced scratch built race cars. So im just out to go as fast as i can now.

Front is looking to be changed in the near future to full one piece front clip and carbon roof. But il get it going first and set it up before i risk wrecking those!
jimjimkp61

Return to Build Threads