Aspiring 86 Owner

For all your general chat needs...

Aspiring 86 Owner

Postby 3SGEFiend » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 am

Hello everyone, I'm Jorge. I will be moving to the Suffolk area in January. I'm coming from Japan, and let me tell you... the cars here are something else. Some of the cleanest 86's you had ever seen, along with other greats. Unfortunately when I first arrived to Okinawa, I was not aware of this cult classic...So I bought an RS200 Altezza. I ended up loving this car more than I expected, especially the Blacktop BEAMS mated with the 6 spd! About two weeks before I was planning on leaving the island, I learned what liftoff oversteer was...the hard way. Now I'm here trying to fill this void and the only thing that I can see filling that void is the Hachi-Roku! I am looking for an Trueno Coupe, nothing else. I've tried imagining myself in the others but I can't! Don't get me wrong, the others are great. I would drive them, but I wouldn't own one . It's just a lust I have for the Trueno Coupe! Please if anyone knows of any that are up for sale, let me know. As well as linking me up with some good places I can look for them.

Now for the other part of my void. I NEED the BEAMSS! (hence 3sgefiend) Same as last time, if anyone knows some up for sale, or any companies/websites that can import them PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Sorry for the caps. Thank you all and I look forward to meeting new people and possibly some new friendships!
3SGEFiend

Re: Aspiring 86 Owner

Postby mad_matt » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 am

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I think you are in a great position at the moment with still living in Japan, you have the luxury of seeing the car you want to buy instead of seeing pictures!

Happy Hunting ;)
Matt
mad_matt

Postby 3SGEFiend » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:13 am

Thanks Matt, I did have sometime quite some time to look around but like I said I wrecked my car two weeks before my departure and so I wasn't able to search thoroughly to find what I wanted on Okinawa, now I leave tomorrow :/ Plus my funds aren't doing great considering my move. So I'm starting now again to get info on how the UK does it.
3SGEFiend

Postby Lukena » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Once you are within the UK and you find a car that maybe a friend finds for you, I am more then happy to ask my company to ship it over as long as it has all the registration docs.

:D
Original Parts Japan
Lukena

Postby mad_matt » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Unfortunate timing I think then :(

Most people tend to deal with Import agents - Torque GT, JM Imports, Japanese Used Cars.com etc to do the legwork for them, given a desired spec etc.
They then select models based on your requirements and can supply you with basic pictures. Most would be happy to carry out inspections with a deposit and they then deal with all the customs/import/registration type stuff and add a commission on top.

Otherwise, there are a few AE86s for sale throughout the UK and Ireland...hell, buy DMacs 13B AE86 ;)
mad_matt

Postby Lauren » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:56 pm

You can find an AE86 in the UK, but it will take a while. They are very rare and most are not in the best condition either. It depends whether you want a car to drift, or you want one for the road that is in good condition.

Ireland is an option as they are plentiful over there, but I'd be very careful about checking the car over, especially when it comes to rust. Then you have the additional costs of registration in the UK and an MOT if from Eire of course.

You can obviously import from Japan, but it's not always economically viable, so it may be better to source a car that is already here if you can find one in good condition. It took me around three months to find mine as an example, but I still had to spend a lot of money to bring it up to a reasonable standard.
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby 3SGEFiend » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Wow a 13b? I would but it seems like the guy went through a lot of trouble putting that thing in just for me to take it out lol. I want to track the car, not drift tho. Actually undecided, but regardless, it's going to be driven hard. I still kind of need it to be legal tho just in case, so I suppose occasional track usage. I would definitely prefer finding one in the uk over importing 100%! Is there any websites/ forums like an ebay or others that are commonly used for advertising cars like it?
3SGEFiend

Postby mad_matt » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:48 am

3SGEFiend wrote:Wow a 13b? I would but it seems like the guy went through a lot of trouble putting that thing in just for me to take it out lol.

Behold: http://mcnsport.com/products/d-mac-86

3SGEFiend wrote:I want to track the car, not drift tho. Actually undecided, but regardless, it's going to be driven hard. I still kind of need it to be legal tho just in case, so I suppose occasional track usage. I would definitely prefer finding one in the uk over importing 100%! Is there any websites/ forums like an ebay or others that are commonly used for advertising cars like it?

There's a couple on ebay at the moment but otherwise your best bet seems to be Driftworks or Driftireland...
Obviously, the clue is in the title as to what these cars have had in their life but the market for AE86s is one of Otaku.
mad_matt

Postby Kev » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 pm

I may sell mine. I'm having a dilemma over whether to keep it or sell it. Cosmetically not the best but its not got any chassis rot and has been dry stored pretty much its whole life in the UK.

I want to pick up a completely standard car instead.
1 x Sprinter Trueno
1 x Peugeot 205 B18C
Kev

Postby mad_matt » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Kev wrote:I may sell mine. I'm having a dilemma over whether to keep it or sell it. Cosmetically not the best but its not got any chassis rot and has been dry stored pretty much its whole life in the UK.

I want to pick up a completely standard car instead.

Having been in this car (before Kev), I attest to the condition of this Corolla, it's been loved...and Ewan drove it like a granny all the time :P
mad_matt

Return to General Chat