Danger Style AE86..

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Danger Style AE86..

Postby PazzaAE86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

So yeah. Ive had a few of these over the last.. erm.. 12 years, and after a bit of a break from them... I couldnt resist any longer, so i picked this up from Ireland...

Got a Garage this time too!

It was a cool car, good spec, FCR Flat side carbs and a built 4AGE! It just wasnt quite my style, so i set about making it more me.. So been tweeking it over the last few months.

So i picked some new wheels up!

Re-did all the wiring and fuel system, brapping Keihin FCR carbs!

Got these welded up by Craig at Dyno Torque, making the Control Arms 20mm longer..

Flared the arches to suit the new wheels and track

Got a new Goodline Bonnet and got him stripped down for paint

Just out of paint, Recaro SPG fitted

Built him back up..

Added some period correct Stickers thanks to Jay @ Jimsfactory and went to Prescott Hill Climb for a rip!

Quick vid of my run up the hill. You could go way faster if you had talent, had 3 goes in total but i was having fun driving the new motor so thats all that counts! Thanks to Mark "Sweeps" Buckle for the video!
[video=youtube;Fdyn_3Gq2WA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdyn_3Gq2WA&feature=share&list=UUzkrOQm2Qf80CzBrHasFYSw[/video]

And here is how it looks now.. Cheers to Al Clark for the picture, the first one not taken on a shoddy 3GS.

The basics of the car are TRD Coilovers, HTS shocks, T3 tension rods, polybushes everywhere else, TRD ARB, TRD LSD, Compomotive ML's 15x9, obligatory Nardi Classic and Recaro SPG inside. The engine has Keihin FCR's, Toda Cams and Gears, small port head, forged Hi-comp pistons with ARP fasteners and plenty of other bits and bobs..

Coming next is to get it tuned, finish the interior, find and fit carpets, door panels etc, and long term is engine out to refresh the Bay and a full strip down inside and underneath, but that can wait till winter. Time to drive!

Thanks to Driftworks for the help and parts, Brad @ Mutant Engineering, Craig at Dynotorque, Peter Turner for the bonnet, Ian G for bits and bobs as usual, and Iain and the gang at Reliance Bus Works for the Paint and all the other crap we get up to down at the unit.. And the missus for the cups of tea. Nice.
PazzaAE86

Re: Danger Style AE86..

Postby PazzaAE86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Actually did some more driving! Holy sheet. Gate Crashed a Volkswagen Sprint Day at Curborough, with Bro Ian in tow to snap a few pics.. Managed to get a decent amount of sideways time, couldnt go too mad cus i didnt wanna cause any delays for the other drivers if i binned it. But its not a bad car at all! Needs the geo setting properly and tuning really, bit of a flat spot high up in the revs that it will pull through but not ideal... Did a 29.50 second lap too, with skids included. That put me 4th fastest on the day. LOL!

Ten internet points if you can spot the asthetic change ahah.. And as per the actual rules of the universe, my exhaust is falling off again. Ahhhh.. All is right in the world.
PazzaAE86

Postby PazzaAE86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:44 pm

And then i thought it would be a good idea to take my freshly painted and prepped AE86 to Buxtons Steel lined oval. Got away with that one! So hard to fully commit at Buxton, but i still learned quite a bit and started to get more of a feel for the car..

PazzaAE86

Postby PazzaAE86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 pm

For some reason i got invited to the Drift Matsuri and Night Demo at Anglesey and had a wicked weekend driving! In prep for it, me and my friend Iain fitted a sweet DW Thermostatic Oil Cooler on the Friday night and ghetto'd up my front bumper a bit by cutting the retro slats out of it.. Still dying to get the Goodline Bumper sorted though.

And a sh*t vid..
[video=youtube_share;GGHQ9PJHpyc]http://youtu.be/GGHQ9PJHpyc[/video]

Struggled with the car a bit, as it had some odd handling traits whereby the car would drop onto full lock and sort of get stuck there... Not ideal with no powersteering, and resulted in plenty of fun spin based activities! Turned out to be a lack of caster, as i adjusted it slightly, mid day on the Sunday, and the car was greatly improved! I still stunk up the place, but learned alot and got back into it towards the end of the day.. And then it dried up completely and the grip level went through the roof.. Up to 60psi out back and that helped. But yeah, learned loads, had fun, drove home and retired the car for 2013...
PazzaAE86

Postby PazzaAE86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

And here we are in 2014...

The car is down at the Reliance Bus Works unit where we are restoring and stich welding the engine bay, and the 16v motor is out and im building a new motor consisting of a 20v Head full to bursting with Toda goodies and mating that to my 16v bottom end. The head has 304 10mm lift Toda Cam shafts and valve springs, and is all assembled and ready to be be bolted on. The bottom end is currently in bits, but it will feature ACL Race Bearings, ARP Fastners and Mains, H Beam Conrods, Blacktop 20v Pistons and a Cometic MLS Headgasket.

At the moment im leaning towards running it through the Keihin FCR's, firstly as it'll be interesting and secondly, there is a chance that the FCR's will make more power than the AE111 ITB's i have on the head, speaking to a few carb places and they seem to love them.. I can also make the inlet track as long as possible going down this route, as the inlet manifold needs to be custom made...

And apparently i have a set of brand new RS Watanabe wheels on their way to me, they are somewhere on the ocean at the moment. 14x9 -19 Offset.

Hopefully this will all come together soon for some 2014 track day fun!
PazzaAE86

Postby Chaycore » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 am

The car looks so good man, cant wait to see it on the new shoes. I do want to see what my gold ones would look like against the red on it sometime too!
Chaycore
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Love it! Need to see this car up close!
Mark

Postby Lauren » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Loving it, Paz, the vids were good too. I still don't think we've managed to meet, but I really must finish off my car, it's a bit lacking in spec though compared to yours. Must stop spending money modifying the GT86!
1985 AE86 GT Apex Sprinter Trueno. HKS cams, 2 way LSD, Tanabe exhaust, K&N, TRD suspenders.
2013 GT86, Milltek, decat, Injen induction, TE37s, TRD aero fins, TEIN Street Flex & EDFC Active Pro, mega sound system.
Lauren

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 am

Nice car and look forward to seeing more of the build as its something a bit different to the norm.

Still want those FCR's :lol:
Lewy

Postby PazzaAE86 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:31 am

I think the gold rims would probably work out, might look at bit like Christmas but that's cool, cus I like Christmas haha!

Lauren, I remember seeing your gt86 darting across the a500 from time to time, but haven't seen it with mods! Would be cool to have a look sometime!

Lewy, if the carbs don't work out I'll be using my Ae 111 throttle bodies so I'll let you know haha!
PazzaAE86

Next

Return to Build Threads