Get the Bacon sangers on AE86 Project

Show us what you're spending your paycheque on

Get the Bacon sangers on AE86 Project

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 am

Some im sure will have seen my project car on a few other forums i inhabit but thought id make a new one for a new forum and all that so here is my AE86 2 door or how it started
Spec was
- 1.6 16v 4age lump
- HKS cams
- Mikuni 48mm carbs
- TRD fuel pump and FPR
- Full exhaust system
- Fujitsubo
- HKS oil cooler
- HKS oil filter relocation kit
- TRD 2-way diff
- TRD clutch
- TRD Short shift kit
- TRD front coilovers
- KYB rear shocks and TRD springs
- Cusco adjustable arms
- Cusco upper and lower braces
- Nearly all the other suspension bits uprated aswell!
- Full rollcage (dash dodger)
- K Sport bucket seat
- OMP wheel with snap-off boss
- Stripped out rear
- TRD oil and water temp gauges
- Fly off handbrake button
- Brembo pads and disks
- 15x8 rota RB's with new 195/50 Toyo T1R's
- Vertex front bumper , Free run sides and rear

I was having fun with it got to the odd track day and just generally getting used to it after my S14 but after a year or so of ownership it went bang. The engine had been getting starved of oil due to the last person rebuilding it using silicone everywhere he didn't have any gaskets for :roll:
Lewy

Re: Get the Bacon sangers on AE86 Project

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:21 am

After mulling it over i decided an engine conversion wasn't for me so i set about a rebuild. I managed to snag a AWT prepared head for good money and some Cat cams in with the deal.
It would of been rude to mate all this to a standard bottom end as the motor will need to rev up to and maybe beyond 9k to get the best out of the set up so a full bottom end build was done.
Toda pistons and Midwest Rods
The block was machined for the new pistons , painted , and then put back together with a new Oil pump , water pump and baffled sump.
Toda flywheel back on , Helix paddle and TRD plate
The head put back on
Shims adjusted , Cat cams in with Toda adjustable pulleys
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 am

While everything was out i decided to tidy up the engine bay as it was a dirty shade of white , wanting to keep it simple and clean i chose to do it black. I know it will be a nightmare to find leaks but it will stay cleaner longer and looks stealthier IMO wich i like.
And the engine back in
Had the Double pulley made into a single and then machined in order to mount the trigger wheel for the Ignition system
I got a whole megajolt set up from trigger wheels to run the ignition
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:58 am

Cooling will now be taken care of by a DW rad , all the shitty old hoses have beem replaced with Samco's in black of course and i have a Mishimoto Fan shroud with twin 12 inch fans to replace the old mechanical one.
This is what was left for the new loom to be built off
Carbs back on and TPS fitted
Last edited by Lewy on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:28 am

On the suspension front the TRD fronts and rears were pretty tired out with a few weaps and the bone shaking hard ride sort of confirmed that. Unfortunitly at the time DW didn't have any CS2's in but i managed to get hold of some equally good Greddy Type S coilovers for a decent price.
These went on with some 30mm NCRA's up front aswell as a battle version lock kit with PAS knuckles so should get some nice lock aswell.
For the rear end a full K-sport arm set was purchased and put on. I know K-sport don't make great suspension components but at less than half price i think i got a bit of a bargain.
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:40 am

Styling wise not much to report , I have some carbon front wings to go on. There 25mm wider than standard so will negate a chunk of the NCRA's 25mm extra track but i intend to run wide low ET wheels aswell.
I have a Seibon Carbon bonnet to go on aswell to tie it together and the rear bumper will be painted black to so it will all tie in i hope. Im thinking It will be a sort of Anti Panda hmmmmmm :lol:

I needed a new exhaust aswell as the last owner had put a quiet and very restrictive exhaust on it. I managed to get a Kakimoto exhaust to replace it with though
old
New
It had to be cut and extended to meet the Fujitsubo manifold and delete the CAT but i think this should give a lot more noise from the once quiet rear end that was dround out from the carbs and make for a free flowing yet not to low exhaust.
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:54 am

And this is how she looks at the moment back rolling on her own feet and just waiting for a complete wiring loom to be sorted but hopefully very soon she will be fired up and back into life. To be honest i can't wait as its been getting worked on for 2 years now :(
Camber check :)
Interior mess
Lewy

Postby Lewy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 pm

I think that brings me about up to date with the build so far. Got more to come when i get back from work hopefully have her fired up and the spec of the engine so far is along the lines of

AWT polish and ported head with arrow shim under bucket kit with cat cam springs
Cat cams with spec: duration 278 / 266°, duration 254 / 242° Max lift 11.80 / 11.05mm lift at TDC 3.65 / 2.90mm
Toda adjustable cam pulleys
Toda high comp pistons with 0.2 overbore and a 11.3:1 ratio
Toda timing belt
0.8mm Toda head gasket
Midwest 4age H-beam rods for 40mm crank
ARP head stud and nut kit
ARP main stud kit
ARP Rod bolts
ACL race bearings
Toda light weight fly wheel
Toda clutch cover with new Helix paddle
New toyota oil pump
HKS inlet manifold
Mikuni carbs
Fujitsubo exhaust manifold
Kakimoto exhaust
Aeromotive FPR
Megajolt Ignition with Zetec coil pack

If anyone has any input it would be muchly appreciated and thanks for looking :)
Lewy

Postby jh86 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 am

Nice build man. Be nice to see how much power it makes when it's all up and running.
Daily driven Levin hatch :D
jh86

Postby Lewy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 am

Cheers mate :)

Yeah im interested to as ive seen people run similer set ups but nothing 100% the same as what i have so its always going to be an un known. Im thinking somewhere between 180 - 200bhp would be nice with a good torque figure to back it up.
Lewy

Return to Build Threads